The Victorian Palliative Care Advice Service
For everyone everywhere in Victoria
The Palliative Care Advice Service offers free, confidential advice for all Victorians seeking information about life-limiting illness, palliative care or end-of-life care.
The service is for non-emergency health advice only.
If you need immediate medical attention, call 000 or go to your nearest emergency department.
How We Help
The aim of palliative and supportive care is to improve the quality of life for people and families living with life-limiting illness.
If you are living with a life-limiting illness or you are supporting someone who is, we can help you navigate the palliative care system or find more information about end-of-life care.
If you are a doctor, nurse, healthcare worker or provider we can assist with symptom management, prescribing and decision-making.
Or we can just be here to listen.
When you contact the Palliative Care Advice Service, you will speak to a specialist palliative care nurse who will collect some basic information about you and the reason for your call.
The nurse will provide you with specialist evidence-based information to help you or someone you care for.
If you are a clinician and our nurse cannot resolve your query, the nurse will immediately transfer you to a palliative medicine specialist.
All conversations, and any information that you provide, remain private, confidential and secure.
Are you or someone you love,
living with life-limiting illness?
We can help with questions like:
- How could palliative care help the person I support?
- Where can I find information about being a carer?
- How do I find the right palliative and supportive care service?
- What can I do to relieve my pain?
- What can I do about my nausea or breathlessness?
- What do I need to think about and plan for?
- How do I discuss palliative care with my healthcare provider?
Are you a doctor, nurse or
other healthcare provider?
Our specialist palliative care services can support you with issues such as:
- Symptom management
- Converting medications from oral to injectable
- Continuous subcutaneous infusions (syringe drivers)
- Decision-making and advance care planning
- Navigating the palliative care system