The Palliative Care Advice Service
For everyone everywhere in Victoria
We offer free, confidential advice for anyone who needs information about a life-limiting illness, palliative or end-of-life care.
This advice service is for everyone in Victoria.
The service is for non-emergency health advice only.
If you need immediate medical attention, call 000 or go to your nearest emergency department.
How we can help
The aim of palliative care is to improve quality of life for people and families living with life-limiting illness.
If you are living with a life-limiting illness, or you are supporting someone who is, we can help you navigate the palliative care system or find more information about caring for someone.
If you are a doctor, nurse, healthcare worker or provider we can assist with symptom management, prescribing and decision-making.
Or we can just be here to listen.
When you contact the service, you will speak with a specialist palliative care nurse who will collect some basic information about you and the reason for your call.
The nurse will then be able to provide you with specialist evidence-based information to help you or someone you care for.
If you are a clinician and our nurse cannot resolve your query, the nurse will immediately transfer you to a palliative medicine specialist.
All conversations, and any information that you provide, remain private, confidential and secure.
Are you or someone you love,
living with life-limiting illness?
We can help with questions like:
- How could palliative care help the person I support?
- Where can I find information about being a carer?
- How do I find the right palliative care service?
- What can I do to relieve my pain?
- What can I do about my nausea or breathlessness?
- What do I need to think about and plan for?
- How do I discuss palliative care with my
Are you a doctor, nurse or
other healthcare provider?
Our specialist palliative care nurse or doctor can support you with issues such as:
- Symptom management
- Converting medications from oral to injectable
- Continuous subcutaneous infusions (syringe drivers)
- Decision-making and advance care planning
- Navigating the palliative care system